Thursday, February 18, 2010

My next conquest....

So I am currently reading the book Julie and Julia by Julie Powell.... Well I have not seen the movie, but the idea absolutely intrigues me, cooking through Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by Julia Child... I even have the book myself.... but... once I got into this book and learned all the HIDEOUS things that must be purchased and CONSUMED... I am seriously having second thoughts

Like scraping bone marrow out of a cow's thigh bone to put on top of a freshly seared steak...yuck in my book... Or boiling cow hooves to make a gelatinous substance to suspend poached eggs in...um no thanks.... and there are so many more that just turn my stomach...

I am hugely interested in "getting back to the basics" of things.. With us having five million children, boxed meals like Hamburger helper just truly do not serve purpose in our household... So I am interested in older cook books that were geared to the more typical, larger family way back in the day.... Plus I just do not like using artificial anything... if God wanted us to eat artificial... why make real? I mean seriously, why must we replicate what God has already created for us? Why can't we be satisfied with the real thing, the BETTER tasting things in life.... Why can't we, as a society, just admit we are lazy turds that require more exercise than getting up off the sofa to refill our soda glasses.. .I don't think injecting our diets with artificial ingredients solves anything at all...... that also takes us to the organic debate, which seems to be a good debate to be had... but my wallet doesn't typically support the organic theory no matter HOW much my mind says yep, eat organic...

So.. anyway, I am contemplating cooking through a cook book... and blogging about it as well... Not sure which book quite yet... but its definitely on my mind....

No comments:

Post a Comment